As identified by the standards that underpin the certification system, Language Competency is key to being able to successfully work as a translator or interpreter. NAATI uses English Language proficiency as a screening mechanism to ensure you already have the necessary language competency to cope in real-life practice.
For individuals needing to satisfy English language proficiency prerequisites, NAATI will consider evidence of:
1. Completion of a formal English proficiency test. This could include:
- International English Language Testing System (IELTS) Test - General
- Occupational English Test (OET)
- Test of English as a Foreign Language - Internet-based test (TOEFL iBT)
- Pearson Test of English (PTE) - Academic
- Cambridge English Advanced (CAE) Test
- Cambridge Certificate of Proficiency in English (CPE)
- International Second Language Proficiency Ratings (ISLPR) English Test
Click here to see more detailed information.
If you have any questions about whether your English proficiency test score is appropriate, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org. You will also need to include a high-quality scan of your test results.
2. Completion of a tertiary qualification (degree level or higher) where:
- The language of instruction was English; and
- English proficiency, comparable or greater than NAATI’s requirements, is an entry requirement for this qualification.
Please note that NAATI needs to be able to verify the English proficiency requirement for this qualification on the institution’s website.
NAATI considers a native English-speaker to be someone who has been educated (in English) in a country where English is an official language.
If you are a native English-speaker, you will need to provide evidence of either:
- Completing your primary and secondary education (equivalent to Australian secondary education year 12) at an institution/s where English was the primary language of instruction; or
- Completing your secondary (equivalent to Australian secondary education year 12) and tertiary education at an institution/s where English was the primary language of instruction.
Any evidence provided must show the number of years completed (i.e. 2013-2017).