The NAATI certification system has been designed to ensure that individuals complete training or a qualification before they can sit a certification test.
Qualification requirements are benchmarked against the Australian Qualifications Framework (AQF). Training requirements differ depending on what type of NAATI credential you are applying for.
Click here to explore training requirements (by credential type).
NAATI Endorsed Qualifications are tertiary translation and interpreting qualifications (diploma-level or higher) conducted by individual VET and Higher Education institutions that are acknowledged by NAATI as teaching and assessing the skills and knowledge required by the profession.
If you successfully complete a NAATI Endorsed Qualification, you will be able to apply directly to NAATI to sit a certification test without satisfying any other prerequisites.
If you are not going to complete a NAATI Endorsed Qualification, you will have to satisfy other prerequisites depending on the eligibility pathway you choose.
Please direct your enquiries regarding a particular course or program to the University or institution directly.
This online short course has been developed by TAFE SA and RMIT for people wanting to gain Certified Provisional Interpreter or Recognised Practising Interpreter. Students will complete four units which will cover:
- Ethics in Interpreting and Translating
- Preparation for an Interpreting or Translating assignment
- Building glossaries
- Communication and Interpreting techniques
If you successfully complete this course, you will have met the training and English proficiency prerequisites necessary to apply to a certification test.
Course sessions will include live (synchronous) sessions as well as online moderated forums and other online activities and assessment. All activities will be very practical and students will be assessed through role plays and forum discussions, as well as practical activities.
- Cost: $1350 (funding may be available)
- Duration: 10 weeks (part-time)
Click here to fill out an Expression of Interest.
The development of the course was funded by the Commonwealth Department of Social Services (DSS) and NAATI.
You will need to attach evidence of your completed training to your application form. You cannot submit an application to NAATI without this evidence.
- For NAATI Endorsed Qualifications:you will need to attach a copy of your official qualification transcript.
- For Non-Endorsed Qualifications: you will need to attach a copy of your official qualification transcript (in English) +descriptions of each relevant unit completed (in English).
- For AQF Units completed at a VET institution:you will need to attach a copy of your statement of attainment.
- For AQF Units completed at a Higher Education institution:you will need to attach a copy of your transcript/statement of attainment. NAATI may ask you to also provide a copies of unit descriptions.
More information about attachment file formats can be found here.