Certified Provisional Interpreter
NAATI’s Certified Provisional Interpreter test is a direct and objective assessment of the skills and competencies needed to practice.
Commensurate with the level of certification, interpreters work in certain typical domains, situations and interpreting modes.
Click here to learn more.
For spoken languages, the Certified Provisional Interpreter test involves three tasks:
- Two Consecutive interpreting face-to-face dialogue tasks
- One Consecutive interpreting remote dialogue task (via telephone)
Each task is delivered as a live role-play. There will be two role-players, one English-speaking and one LOTE-speaking for each role-play.
You will be required to interpret in consecutive mode for each of the role-players. Each task will last 10-12 minutes and will be set in a different domain.
The following video explains what will happen on the day of the test.
It is essential that you also read and understand the following information prior to attending the test:
- Certified Provisional Interpreter Candidate Information
- Certified Provisional Interpreter Assessment Rubrics (these are the standards the examiners will use to mark your test)
- Language Policies for Certified Provisional Interpreter & Certified Interpreter Tests
- NAATI Identity Verification Policy
Again, NAATI expects all test candidates will have read and understood the following information prior to attending their test:
NAATI will be conducting a range of Certified Provisional Interpreter tests between the following dates:
- 4 - 8 February 2019: Arabic, Indonesian, Vietnamese
- 11 - 15 March 2019: Mandarin, Cantonese, Hazaragi
- 22 - 26 April 2019: Arabic
- 13 - 17 May 2019: Italian, Japanese, Korean, Spanish
- 22 - 26 July 2019: German, Greek, Turkish
- 5 - 9 August 2019: Italian, Japanese, Korean, Spanish
- 9 - 13 September 2019: French
- 30 September - 4 October 2019: Croatian, Dari, Persian, Polish
- 25 - 29 November 2019: Portuguese, Punjabi, Russian, Sinhalese, Urdu
The list of dates above is not exhaustive. Testing may only be available in some states, depending on demand.
Further dates will be published as they become available. NAATI reserves the right to amend test dates and languages up to eight weeks before the scheduled test date.
Please note that NAATI must have assessed your application as 'eligible for testing' before you can be invited to one of these test sessions. Click here to learn more about how certification tests are scheduled.
Invitations are emailed to eligible candidates 14 weeks before the scheduled test session and payment must be received with 7 days of this email. Late payments will not be accepted.