Certified Provisional Interpreter
An interpreter transfers a spoken or signed message from one language into a spoken or signed message in another language, for the purpose of communication between people who do not share the same language.
Interpreters work in certain typical domains, situations and interpreting modes, depending on the certification they hold.
NAATI’s Certified Provisional Interpreter test is an objective assessment of the skills and competencies needed to practice as an interpreter in Australia.
Learn more about the different certification types.
Apply for certification
If you are applying for additional certifications, you'll need to log into myNAATI to apply.
If this is your first NAATI certification:
Apply for NAATI certification
For spoken languages, the Certified Provisional Interpreter test involves three tasks:
- Two Consecutive interpreting face-to-face dialogue tasks
- One Consecutive interpreting remote dialogue task (via telephone)
Each task is delivered as a live role-play. There will be two role-players, one English-speaking and one LOTE-speaking for each role-play.
You will be required to interpret in consecutive mode for each of the role-players. Each task will last 10-12 minutes and will be set in a different domain.
The following video explains what will happen on the day of the test.
It is essential that you also read and understand the following information prior to attending the test:
- Certified Provisional Interpreter Candidate Information
- How will my test be marked?
- Language Policies for Certified Provisional Interpreter & Certified Interpreter Tests
- What are your policies around rescheduling or cancelling my test?
- How will my identity be checked on test day?
- Glossary of NAATI terms
NAATI will be conducting a range of Certified Provisional Interpreter tests between the following dates:
- 22 - 26 April 2019: Arabic
- 13 - 17 May 2019: Italian, Japanese, Korean, Spanish
- 24 - 28 June 2019: Auslan (NSW, QLD, SA and VIC)
- 22 - 26 July 2019: German, Greek, Turkish
- 5 - 9 August 2019: Italian, Japanese, Korean, Spanish
- 2 - 6 September 2019: Auslan (All states, dependent on demand)
- 9 - 13 September 2019: French
- 30 September - 4 October 2019: Croatian, Dari, Hazaragi, Persian, Polish
- 21 - 25 October 2019: Arabic, Mandarin, Vietnamese
- 25 - 29 November 2019: Portuguese, Punjabi, Russian, Sinhalese, Urdu
The list of dates above is not exhaustive. Testing may only be available in some states, depending on demand.
Further dates will be published as they become available. NAATI reserves the right to amend test dates and languages up to eight weeks before the scheduled test date.
Please note that NAATI must have assessed your application as 'eligible for testing' before you can be invited to one of these test sessions. Click here to learn more about how certification tests are scheduled.
Invitations are emailed to eligible candidates 14 weeks before the scheduled test session and payment must be received with 7 days of this email. Late payments will not be accepted.