NAATI’s Certified Translator test is a direct and objective assessment of the skills and competencies needed to practice.
Commensurate with the level of certification, translators work with documents from certain typical domains and types.
Click here to learn more.
There are separate tests for LOTE into English and English into LOTE certification.
The Certified Translator certification test involves completing three tasks:
- Task Type A: Two translations of a non-specialised text (you will translate two texts from a choice of three)
- Task Type B: One revision of a non-specialised translation
Each test task will be on a different topic from a different domain.
Time allowed: 3.5 hours
NAATI expects that test candidates will have read and understood the following information prior to attending their test:
As part of preparing yourself for the revision of a non-specialised translation task, you should familiarise yourself with the error types that you may encounter in the text.
LOTE to English Tests
English to LOTE Tests
- Chinese (Full Form): List of Error Categories for Candidates
- Chinese (Simplified): List of Error Categories for Candidates
- Japanese: List of Error Categories for Candidates
- Spanish: List of Error Categories for Candidates
Please note that you will be provided with a copy of the relevant list as part of the test material. You should also read the candidate instructions for further information on how to use this document.
NAATI has developed a series of examples of test task types to help you prepare for the test. Use the links below to download them:
- Task Type A: Translation of a Non-Specialised Text
- Task Type B: Revision of a Non-Specialised Translation
- Task Type B Practice Material (you can use this to practice a revision task)
These materials are © National Accreditation Authority for Translators and Interpreters Ltd 2017 – 2018 and cannot be reproduced without the permission of NAATI.
Again, NAATI expects all test candidates will have read and understood the following information prior to attending their test:
Please note that NAATI must have assessed your application as 'eligible for testing' before you can be invited to book one of these test dates:
- 17-21 September 2018: Chinese, French, Indonesian, Japanese, Spanish, Vietnamese (All states)
- 25 February - 1 March 2019: Arabic, French, German, Greek, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Spanish, Turkish, Vietnamese, Chinese (All states)
The list of dates above is not exhaustive. Further dates will be published as they become available. NAATI reserves the right to cancel test dates if there are no eligible candidates.
Click here to learn more about how certification tests are scheduled.