NAATI’s Certified Translator test is a direct and objective assessment of the skills and major competencies needed to practice.
Commensurate with the level of certification, translators work with documents from certain typical domains and types.
Click here to learn more.
There are separate tests for LOTE into English and English into LOTE certification.
The Certified Translator certification test involves completing three tasks:
- Task Type A: Two translations of a non-specialised text (you will translate two texts from a choice of three)
- Task Type B: One revision of a non-specialised translation
Each test task will be on a different topic from a different domain.
Time allowed: 3.5 hours
NAATI expects that test candidates will have read and understood the following information prior to attending their test:
- Certified Translator Test Candidate Instructions
- Example of Revision of Non-specialised Translation: Adding your revisions
- Revision of a Non-Specialised Translation: List of Error Categories for Candidates
- Policy for the Use of Equipment and Reference Materials in Translator Tests
- Certification Test Policies
- Identity Verification Information for NAATI Test Candidates
- Glossary of NAATI Certification Terms
Written and verbal instructions are given to candidates before the commencement of each test and it is expected that these will be observed. Any breach of the examination conditions may lead to being disqualified from the test.
Click here to read the Certified Translator Test Candidate Instructions.
All NAATI test materials are and remain at all times the property of NAATI. NAATI provides each candidate with test materials for the sole purpose of taking the test, and on the condition that the materials are returned immediately upon the conclusion of the candidate’s participation. NAATI does not return answer papers or test recordings to candidates, nor does it release copies of test materials.
NAATI has developed a series of examples of test task types to help you prepare for the test. Use the links below to download them:
- Task Type A: Translation of a Non-Specialised Text
- Task Type B: Revision of a Non-Specialised Translation
- Task Type B Practice Material (you can use this to practice a revision task)
These materials are © National Accreditation Authority for Translators and Interpreters Ltd 2017 – 2018 and cannot be reproduced without the permission of NAATI.