The New Zealand Government has embarked on a project to improve the quality and consistency of the interpreting services provided to people who need to use interpreters so they can interact effectively with the New Zealand Government.
The New Zealand Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment (MBIE) has engaged NAATI for the use of NAATI standards and the NAATI Certification System. From 1 July 2024, NAATI certification will be a prerequisite for working as a community language interpreter in the New Zealand public sector. More information about this project can be found on the MBIE website.
New Zealand interpreters wishing to gain a NAATI certification before 1 July 2024 should go through the following process:
- Register: The first step is to create an account on the NAATI Learn platform and register your details in the New Zealand Interpreter Registration
- NAATI will share this information with MBIE to assess your eligibility to access support under the New Zealand funding and support package. This will include confirming your New Zealand citizenship or residency.
- Receive entitlement note: If you are eligible for support, MBIE will email you an entitlement note.
- The entitlement note will advise which courses or certification tests you will be fully or partially funded for, if you decide to apply for a NAATI credential.
- The entitlement note will come directly from MBIE and may take up to two months from registration.
- Enrol or apply: After receiving an entitlement note, you can use this to enrol in the relevant training or apply for a NAATI credential/s following the instructions in the note.
- Induction course: The New Zealand Government requires eligible interpreters to complete a mandatory New Zealand induction course before 1 July 2024. The induction course is being hosted on NAATI’s Learning Management System.
- This is in addition to completing the prerequisite training or NAATI test/s to gain a NAATI credential.
- Registered interpreters will be automatically enrolled by NAATI when the course becomes available, and will be emailed instructions on how to access it.
Please note: Registrations received in December 2021 and January 2022 will be assessed by MBIE in February 2022. Thank you for your patience.