ALERT: NAATI launches a new look practitioner search
One of the most popular tools on the NAATI website is our online directory of translators and interpreters. The directory allows people to search for an appropriate translator or interpreter based on certain criteria including language and location (country, state and postcode).
It has been in existence since 1981 and was launched as a free online web search in 2000. The NAATI team is very excited to release a significant upgrade to this important tool. This upgrade has drastically changed the search's user interface in order to make it easier to clearly see the number of practitioners available through each search criteria.
Here is a quick guide to performing a directory search:
Step 1: Selecting the language
- All you need to do is simply select the Language other than English (LOTE) needed in the first box.
- Fill in the reCAPTCHA box and then press search.
Step 2: Filtering the results
- If there are practitioners available in your selected language combination, these will show up in a randomized order on the result page. If there are no practitioners available, you will see an error message.
- On the left hand side of the screen, you'll see a number of filter options for your results. In order to use these effectively, you should ask yourself the following questions -
- Category: do I need a translator (written) or an interpreter (spoken)?
- Experience: what are my requirements? eg. if you need a birth certificate translated for a government application you would generally pick professional level or above.
- Country: what Australian state or country should they be located in?
- Postcode or Suburb: Are there enough results so I can search for practitioners that are located closest to my postcode or suburb?
- The brackets next to each option will tell you the number of results that will show up when you apply that filter. These brackets will adjust automatically as you work through the filters.
- To apply any of the filters to the search results, select your filter or filters and then press the apply button at the top of the box.
- The clear button will clear any filters you have selected. The go back button will take you to the search home page.
- In some cases the results will show that there are less than 10 available practitioners in Australia. In these cases, it is generally advisable not to apply any further filters. You should go through the results and contact your preferred practitioner (or practitioners).
Step 3: Going through the final results
- Once you have a list of final results, you can click on each practitioner's name to find their contact details. Alternatively, you can choose to print your results by clicking the print results button on the right hand side of the screen.
- If you are looking for a translator, you will need to make sure you are selecting the right language direction. These language directions (to English or from English) are shown in brackets next to a person's credential eg. Professional Translator (Arabic to English)
- It is up to you to contact your preferred practitioner (or practitioners). NAATI cannot do this for you.
- If you need to start your search again, click the go back button that sits above the filters column.
- To get back to the NAATI website, click the contact us link at the very bottom of the page.