Overseas Qualifications & Skilled Employment
Once you have been awarded a successful skills assessment, you may apply to NAATI to provide an opinion as to:
- The comparable Australian level qualification of an interpreting or translating qualification obtained at an overseas institution.
- The demonstration of verifiable skilled employment as a translator or interpreter undertaken in the last ten years.
To claim points for a qualification obtained overseas, the qualification will need to be recognised as being of a standard equivalent to the relevant Australian level qualification. Individuals with a translating or interpreting qualification can choose to have this assessed by NAATI for:
- Doctorate Degree (generally worth 20 points)
- Bachelor or Masters Degree (generally worth 15 points)
- Australian diploma or trade qualification (generally worth 10 points)
- Other award or qualification recognised by NAATI (generally worth 10 points)
If requested by the applicant, NAATI will provide its opinion as part of the skills assessment as to the comparable Australian level qualification.
Points may be awarded for employment in a skilled occupation, either in Australia or overseas. To claim points for skilled employment, the experience must be within the applicant’s nominated occupation (i.e. translator or interpreter).
Points may be awarded by demonstrating verifiable skilled employment history undertaken in Australia (in the last ten years), as follows:
- 5 points (1-3 years)
- 10 points (3-5 years)
- 15 points (5-8 years)
- 20 points (8-10 years)
For verifiable skilled employment undertaken overseas (in the last 10 years):
- 5 points (3-5 years)
- 10 points (5-8 years)
- 15 points (8-10 years)
Australian and overseas employment over the past ten years can be combined, however only a maximum of 20 points can be awarded.
For the purposes of awarding points, the Department of Home Affairs considers skilled employment will comprise at least 20 hours employment per week.
If requested by the applicant, NAATI will provide its opinion, as part of the skills assessment, on the skilled employment claims.
If NAATI is to make an assessment of your education qualification(s) and/or skilled employment you will need to:
- Obtain or hold an appropriate non-expired NAATI Credential.
- Complete Form M – Assessment of Educational Qualifications and Skilled Employment and attach your supporting documentation.
- Submit your completed application to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Details about supporting documentation can be found on the application form.