All applicants will need to attach additional files with their online application. These files include things like photos, identity documents, academic transcripts, reference letters or other documents.
Photo and document files must meet the requirements set out below. Attachments that do not meet requirements may result in delays in processing your application.
Your photo is critical to the integrity of the application process. Photos submitted with your application must meet these requirements:
- Good quality, less than six months old
- Clear, focused image with no marks or ‘red eye’
- Plain white background that contrasts with your face
- Uniform lighting (no shadows or reflections) with appropriate brightness and contrast to show natural skin tone
- Face looking directly at the camera and not tilted in any direction
- Hair off the face so that the edges of the face are visible
- Eyes open, mouth closed
- Neutral expression (not smiling, laughing or frowning)
Most NAATI application forms will ask you to attach an original colour scan of your current passport or Australian driver’s licence. The photo ID must be valid for at least three months after submitting your application. This scanned identity document does not need to be certified.
If you don’t have either of those, you will need to attach another form of government-issued photo ID. These include a:
- Proof of Age Card (issued by a state or territory government)
- ImmiCard (issued by the Department of Home Affairs)
- Document of Identity (issued by the Department of Foreign Affairs & Trade)
- Australian Defence Force ID Card (issued by the Department of Defence)
- New Zealand driver’s licence or government-issued photo ID.
Any other files that you attach to your online application (eg. reference letters, academic transcripts, or completion certificates etc.) must be the electronic original or a scan of the original physical document. These files must also meet the following requirements:
- In English (or an English translation of the original document should be included*)
- Acceptable file formats: doc, docx or pdf
- File size minimum (per file): 10KB
- File size maximum (per file): 2MB
- Preferred file format: .pdf
* Translations of your transcripts and other documents should be completed by a NAATI certified translator. NAATI will accept other translations in exceptional circumstances. Please include all relevant information in your application
You will need to attach two work reference letters to your application. Each reference letter must address the following criteria:
- Each reference letter must come from a different employer or organisation.
- At least one reference must be from a translation and/or interpreting service provider, where you have been contracted, employed or engaged in translation or interpreting duties.
- Each reference must demonstrate that you have worked in the language and skill for which you are applying for (i.e. if you are applying for a Recognised Practising Interpreter (English and Oromo) credential, your reference letter must show that you have work experience as an English and Oromo interpreter).
- The references must demonstrate that the work experience is current, regular and ongoing (i.e. each reference must cover a period of at least three months). At least one reference must cover the three (3) months immediately preceding the application. Other references may cover work experience that has been completed no more than six (6) months ago.
- Each reference letter must be on the organisation’s letterhead and be signed and dated by an individual authorised to provide this reference on behalf of the organisation.
NAATI will consider reference letters for voluntary or pro bono work as long as the reference letter meets the criteria outlined above.
Third Party Sponsorship
Some candidates will have an organisation or government department pay for their test via a scholarship or sponsorship. Where this is the case candidates will need to provide
- organisation name
- contact person name
- contact person email
- evidence of sponsorship (eg purchase order)
Only organisations with existing credit arrangements with NAATI are able to be processed this way, and credit is generally offered only to organisations with more than 10 tests a year. Organisations who wish to sponsor multiple candidates should contact firstname.lastname@example.org for further details.
Whitelist NAATI on Gmail
If you have a Gmail account, please click below to read this helpful guide on how to make sure our emails don’t get marked as spam.