The following terms and conditions apply to your NAATI test and other applications such as Recertification and Recognition applications.
Candidates that cancel their test session should know that:
- Cancellation of online tests within a week (7 days or less) of the test will not receive a refund of the test fee
- Cancellation of online tests more than one week from the test will receive a refund of 75% of the test fee
- Cancellation of in-person tests less than 5 weeks (35 days or less) will not receive a refund of the test fee
- Cancellation of in-person tests more than 5 weeks from the test will receive a refund of 75% of the test fee
- In some circumstances both online and in-person test sessions may be rescheduled without penalty or receive a 75% refund up to the day of the test if the following criteria are met:
- NAATI has been notified by 8am on the morning the test and evidence is provided of:
- Serious injury / hospital admission
- Hardship / Trauma – e.g. victim of crime / traffic accident
- Other potentially communicable illness as confirmed by medical certificate (in person tests only). The provided medical certificate must state the nature of the illness
- Non-attendance on the test date is considered a cancellation and no fees will be refunded.
- Refunds can be done through the myNAATI portal
Arriving Late or Not At All For A Test
If you arrive late to your test, the test supervisor will advise you whether you can be admitted to the test. If testing of other candidates has started, you will not be tested.If you arrive late and cannot be admitted to the test, or do not show up to the test at all, you will not receive a refund of your test fee.
For all tests, Recertification and Recognition
During the test, you must follow the instructions given by any NAATI officer and the guidelines set out in the candidate instructions provided to you via email. Failure to follow instructions may result in the you being prevented from sitting tested, or your test being invalidated.
- I declare the information provided in my application form is correct to the best of my knowledge.
- How and why NAATI collects, manages and uses my personal information.
- To whom NAATI may disclose my personal information.
- How I can access and request correction of my personal information which NAATI holds.
- How I can complain about a breach of the Australian Privacy Principles by NAATI.
- NAATI’s Identity Verification Policy is available at www.naati.com.au. This explains how my identity will be verified at the test venue.
- I understand that if the fees for my application have been paid for by an organisation or sponsor that NAATI may provide information to that organisation about the outcome of the application.
- I understand NAATI will use my personal information to process my application, verify my eligibility, administer my tests, and to assess and record the outcome of my application.
- I understand that if NAATI does not collect my personal information, NAATI will not be able to provide its products and services to me.
- I understand that my test will be recorded as a video or audio recording which will remain the property of NAATI and will not be made available to me.
- I understand that if I am successful in passing a Certification test, NAATI may disclose my name, NAATI credentials, expiry date, suburb and photograph to individuals and organisations. NAATI is required to verify practitioner credentials unless a special exemption is approved.
- I understand that if I am successful in passing a Credentialed Community Language or Community Language Aide test, I do not hold a NAATI credential to work as a translator or interpreter.
- I understand that if I am successful in the certification test, I will need to behave ethically and meet recertification criteria to maintain my certification.
- I understand that NAATI reserves the right to confirm any of the information required if necessary.
- I understand that NAATI reserves the right to amend or cancel a test at any time.
- I understand that NAATI reviews our tests and processes from time to time. This may result in changes including but not limited to, recertification requirements, testing conditions, test formats, language availability and assessment criteria.
- I understand that comments from examiners received with my results are not a comprehensive list of examiner observations. Theseare examples only to support the result. They are not a comprehensive assessment of my test.
- I understand that examiner comments cannot be used as the basis of a complaint or review.
Candidates are expected to be courteous and professional in their dealings with NAATI staff at all times and to follow all reasonable instructions during testing. Abusive, threatening or violent behaviour towards NAATI employees will not be tolerated.
If NAATI suspects that you have gained an unfair advantage by breaching the test conditions either directly or indirectly, or have assisted another candidate to do so, we will outline the allegations and proposed actions to you in writing.
The candidate will have a right of reply. NAATI will investigate allegations of cheating, the candidate’s response, and make a decision about the course of action, based on the outcome of our investigation.
Options available to NAATI include (but are not limited to):
- Invalidating the test and preventing the candidate from sitting a NAATI test in the future
- Invalidating the test and offering the opportunity to reschedule or receive a refund
- Withholding the test results
All test materials are the property of NAATI. You are not permitted to make or take away copies, paper or electronic, of any test material, or reproduce the test or communicate the test content to a third party.
Illness and Sitting a Test
If you are ill and decide to sit a test, your test will be marked on the same basis as everyone else. There will be no additional consideration.
All test materials are and remain at all times the property of NAATI. NAATI provides each applicant with the test material for the sole purpose of taking the test. NAATI is not defined as an agency in the Freedom of Information Act and is therefore not subject to it. As a consequence, test materials are not obtainable under the Act.NAATI does not release copies of test materials or copies of applicant responses to those test materials.
From time to time there may be a problem with technical equipment or testing procedures. NAATI reserves the right to conduct an alternative test if for any reason we are not satisfied with the original test conditions or procedures. In such cases, you will not be charged a fee to sit a retest.
Issuing of Results
NAATI is committed to fair marking of all candidate tests. Our processes are designed to ensure that your results are a true representation of your performance during the test. NAATI will issue your results (via email) within 8-10 weeks of the test date. This is the time needed to ensure your test is fairly marked. We will not respond to requests for test results within the 10-week period after you sat your test.
Results are issued as they are received from examiners and checked. In practice this means that some candidates may receive their results sooner than 10 weeks. Don’t be concerned if someone who sat the test on the same day as you, receives their results before you. This happens because the tests are allocated to the examiners randomly.
You cannot lodge a new application to sit the same test type, until your result has been issued.
Application for a Test Review
If you are unsuccessful in your test, you may be able to apply for a review. Where you are able to apply for a review, you will be charged a fee for this service. If you have applied for a review, you cannot apply to sit a new test until the review outcome has been issued. To apply for a test review, log into myNAATI.
If I apply for a test review the following terms and conditions apply:
- Reviews are available where the test has not been marked by the entire language panel as part of NAATI’s quality assurance and auditing processes, Certification test candidates that will be marked in this way will be notified in advance.
- I understand that my application for a test review must made no more than 30 days from the date my test result is issued. This means I must complete an application for review and pay the required fee.
- I understand that I can only access this process once for each test sat.
- I understand that a review of my test may take up to eight weeks.
- I understand that a review of my test provides no guarantee of the upgrading of my result.
- I understand that a test review will combine results by all examiners including the review examiner, and my final result will be an average of all examiners who marked my test. This may result in a reduction of my test result.
- I understand that a test review for a CCL test will not be accessible in the result of a clear fail (<58).
- I understand that all test materials remain the property of NAATI. I also understand that NAATI does not allow the viewing of, return, or release test materials.
- I understand that the result of the review is final and that NAATI will not enter into any discussion or correspondence about the test review.
Further Terms and Conditions
Further Terms and Conditions for using the NAATI website are available in Using the NAATI Website.
Using This Website
The following terms and conditions are found in the full policy Terms and Conditions – Using the NAATI Website.
- General conditions
- Accuracy, completeness & timeliness of information
- Modifications to our service & prices
- Accuracy of billing and account information
- Modifications to our Service & Price
- Products or Services(if applicable)
- Accuracy of Billing & Account Information
- Third-Party Links
- User Comments, Feedback & Other Submissions
- Personal Information
- Errors, Inaccuracies & Omissions
- Prohibited Uses
- Disclaimer of Warranties, Limitation of Liability
Questions about the Terms of Service should be sent to the Manager, Corporate Governance, at email@example.com or posted to:
PO Box 223, Deakin West, ACT 2600.